Thursday, September 26, 2019

Invisible Apple Cake - Gluten Free



Our apple trees produced a wealth of fruit this year. We give them away and still have plenty. I've been making all kinds of apple dishes and finding inspiration on the web. One recipe intrigued me - Invisible Apple Cake. It's name apparently comes from the way the apples are said to disappear into the cake, however, I think the cake disappears into the layers of apples. The "cake" is primarily apples, with a bit of batter holding them together.

It's a great way to use up about 6 good-sized apples and tastes wonderful cold or warm. I've been keeping it in the fridge and cutting a slice for breakfast, topped with plain yogurt and a sprinkle of cinnamon. 

This recipe is my take on a number of recipes I read. It's not too sweet, and can barely be called a "cake", but I quite like it. 

Invisible Apple Cake

First, make the batter. 

2 eggs
2 Tablespoons maple syrup, or honey, or brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit a 9-inch springform pan. Lightly grease the edges of the pan and place the parchment paper in the bottom. 

In a large bowl, beat the eggs well, until frothy and light, and add the maple syrup (or other sweetener). Beat again. Mix in the cream and butter, along with the vanilla, and finally, gently mix in the almond flour and baking powder. 

Now, add the apples

6 apples, peeled, cut into quarters, and cored
Slice the apples very thinly and place in the batter as they are cut so they don't brown too much. There will be little batter and a lot of apples. Stir carefully to ensure a bit of batter sticks to each apple slice.

Place them in the prepared pan, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, or top with sliced almonds. 

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, then cover loosely with a sheet of foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until the apples are tender.

Let cool in the pan, then carefully remove. Serve warm or cold, with custard sauce, yogurt, ice cream, or whipped cream. 


5 comments:

Dewena said...

This sounds good! Your mentioning eating a slice for breakfast with some yogurt got my attention. Maybe I could learn to like yogurt if had this for a chaser. I've never tried to substitute almond flour in baking but have been wanting to try.

Cheryl said...

That looks delicious! Nice to have a new apple dessert/breakfast to try. Thanks for experimenting and sharing!

Love Affair with Food said...

Looks so yummy, thanks for the recipe!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Lorrie, I don't know how I missed this post, but I'm glad I spotted it today. I just posted an apple cake today myself, in honor of autumn. Yours sounds delightful--and perfect for my gluten-free friends!

Sharon Wagner said...

Yum! The crispy tomatoes too.