Thursday, May 7, 2009

Cucumber Feta Salad



Long English cucumbers were on sale two for one last week. I had read a recipe somewhere about making a cucumber feta salad, but couldn't remember where (note to self - that's what bookmarks and printers are for). (Edited to add: the inspiration came from Kelley, who re-posted her recipe the very same day I posted this one - is it cucumber season?)

So I attempted it on my own, and it was yummy, if I do say so myself. Even my husband, not known for choosing to eat salad as a snack in the evening, took this out of the fridge and ate it (out of the container!) while reading his sailing magazine.

So, here's what I did (more or less)

Cucumber Feta Salad

1 long English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced, about 1/3 inch thick (yes, 1/3 inch - or 1 cm)
1/2 - 2/3 cup of feta cheese, cubed or crumbled, depending on if you buy it dry or brined.
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup black olives (I use the pitted Kalamata ones from the deli)

Dressing:
2 T olive oil
2 T red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh oregano, finely chopped (mine is just showing up outside after a long winter)
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1-2 T plain yogurt
salt and freshly ground pepper

Whisk the dressing ingredients together, pour over the salad ingredients and enjoy the crunch!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mm. Olives would be delish in it.