Friday, March 18, 2022

Rice Pudding

 


Rice Pudding is not something I remember as a child. Tim's mother, however, made it frequently, and he has fond memories of comforting bowls of this creamy and not-too-sweet mixture. Tim's mom shared her recipe with me many years ago. The paper she wrote it on is stained and creased. The piece of stationery she used had this on the bottom:

"Let all your things 
Be done with love"

What a good motto for any endeavour, but especially so for cooking.



Rice Pudding

1/3 cup rice (use white, converted, or arborio) I used the latter this time
3 Tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (or cinnamon)
2 1/2 cups milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon butter

In a saucepan, combine the rice, sugar, salt, nutmeg, and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, then lower the heat to a low simmer. Half-cover (I prop a lid sideways on the pot, or use a wooden spoon), and cook for 20-30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Beat egg in a bowl and add a bit of the cooked mixture to it - it should still be fairly liquid. Stir the egg into the pot and cook for several minutes until thick. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and vanilla. 

Note:  This recipe makes enough for two or three servings. When the children were at home, I always doubled or even tripled it. It's good cold or warm. 

4 comments:

HWIT BLOGG said...

Oh I must try this Rice Pudding! Lovely!
Have a great day and take care...
Titti

Granny Marigold said...

I made this today. Thanks for the inspiration.

Haddock said...

Never had rice pudding. Must try this.

Dewena said...

My favorite dessert! I made one after Christmas from Ruth Reichel's recipe only I soaked the raisins overnight in cognac. It was amazing!