Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dutch Crust Oatmeal Muffins



I found this recipe somewhere a looong time ago. I know I made it when our kids were little so it's at least 25 years old. But it's a keeper. I'm posting it today because my niece, Nicole, freezing out in Ottawa with her husband, asked for it. I had to make some to take the photo so my husband is very glad she asked. Thanks, Nicole!


Yields 12 regular sized muffins

3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup fresh or part thawed frozen cranberries, blueberries, or chopped apple

2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (I use 1/2 cup milk plus 2 teaspoons vinegar)
1/2 cup melted butter

Combine the dry ingredients, stir in the fruit. Combine the wet ingredients and add to the dry mixture, stirring just enough to combine the two. Spoon into 12 regular sized muffin cups. Top with Dutchy Crust (recipe follows) and baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix together with your fingers and sprinkle on muffins before baking.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi! I was looking through some old recipes from magazines and came across the exact same recipe- Woman's Day 1984 Muffin Mania! Since you posted this recipe just as I was looking for a possibly updated version of oatmeal muffins, I will forgo the update and try "your" recipe. THanks so much for being from my generation:)