Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Date Filled Oatmeal Cookies

 


These cookies are a family favourite. In fact, they are my dad's all time favourite. They are old fashioned, hearty cookies, and fairly economical to make. Not a fancy cookie, but one that satisfies that "4 o'clock sinking feeling". Good with a cup of tea. 

Date Filled Oatmeal Cookies

1 cup butter (the original recipe says part shortening, but I use all butter)

1 cup brown sugar, packed

1/2 cup milk

2 cups oatmeal (I use large flake old-fashioned oatmeal, but quick oats would work, too. Don't use instant oatmeal.)

1 1/2 cups flour

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit as I use salted butter)

Cream butter and add brown sugar. Beat until creamy. Add milk and oats. Mix well. 

Combine the flour and baking powder, then stir into the mixture. 

Chill for 30-60 minutes. 

Roll dough on a floured counter top to 1/8 inch thick. Cut with round cookie cutter. Bake for 11-14 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cool on a rack.

Sandwich two cookies together with cooled Date Filling, recipe below. 


Date Filling

1/2 pound dried dates, chopped

2/3 cup water

1/2 cup sugar

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Cook the dates, water, and sugar together in a saucepan over medium heat until thick. Stir often. There will be some chunks left depending on how finely the dates are chopped. They smooth out fairly well when you spread the filling onto the cookies.

These cookies store well, and can be frozen. 

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Thank you Lorrie for the recipe. Today I made some oatmeal cookies with chocolate. Tomorrow I go shopping and will get the dates.
Bonne journée et merci.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Thank you!
This cookie will be a favorite for the holidays, and my cookie container.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love anything with dates, Lorrie. These sound similar to date bars that I make, but in cookie form. I can see why they’re your dad’s favorite.