Thursday, November 25, 2021

Scandinavian Almond Cookies

 


I've had this recipe, handwritten on a 3 x 5 card just the way we used to do, for a long time. I made it again recently and was so pleased with the texture and taste that I think I will make another batch soon. Crisp on the outside and chewy inside with a pronounced almond taste, they disappeared quickly. 

1 1/2 cups flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 cup butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1 egg

1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract

milk

1/2 cup sliced almonds, coarsely chopped

Stir together the flour and baking powder. Set aside. 

Beat butter until creamy, add sugar and beat well, then add egg and extract. 

Stir in the flour.

Divide the dough into 4 equal portions. Form each portion into a 12 inch long roll. Place two rolls 4 - 5 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet (I line my baking sheet with parchment paper). Flatten each roll to about 1 1/2 inches - they will spread out quite a bit as they bake. 

Brush with milk. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 325 F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. 

Slide the rolls onto a cutting board (using parchment paper makes this very easy). While warm and soft, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch strips. Transfer to wire rack and cool. Makes about 36 cookies.

Drizzle with almond icing.

1 cup icing sugar

1/4 teaspoon almond extract

3-4 teaspoons milk

Stir together until creamy and soft. 


The cookies keep well at room temperature for a week or more, and can easily be frozen for longer storage. 


3 comments:

Catherine said...

Can you tell me what is almond extract milk? Is it almond milk?
( I try to leave comments on blogs and have problems) so I said your quilt is very nice, so are your mirror and Tilda. I made two Tilda dolls.
This week end, I will do some shopping and have a rest , because I had my vaccin today. Here it is raining for the moment. I hope the weather in your country will settle soon. Stay safe.

Caroline said...

Your handmade projects are lovely as always! I think I'll make the cookies, thanks for sharing. Have fun celebrating Cora!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I need to make these, Lorrie!
Yes, didn’t we used to write out recipes on little index cards? Those were the days!