Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Cucumber Radish Appetizer



Whenever I eat a radish I think of the scene in Gone With the Wind when Scarlett is in the garden at Tara, hungry after the deprivations of the war, and she finds an old radish plant, pulls it up and eats it.

These radishes grew in my garden and they were crisp with a fresh peppery flavour that wasn't overwhelming. I had so many that I had to devise something to do with them. This appetizer was the result and I have to say, I think it's awfully pretty. And easy, too.

Radish Cream Cheese Spread

10 radishes, tops and tails trimmed
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 ounces cream cheese, softened

Place the radishes and garlic in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add the cream cheese and pulse until combined. This can be used right away, but I found the fresh garlic overpowered the radishes. If you plan ahead, refrigerate overnight, or at least a few hours and the flavours will settle down into a lovely fresh mix.

To make the appetizers, cut an English cucumber into fairly thick slices, dollop some dip atop and garnish with the prettiest radishes you can find.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: