Sunday, December 5, 2010

Toasted Almond Chip Balls



My husband is one of the fortunate ones who hasn't gained a pound in over 30 years. And I do feed him well. But he has cookies everyday, so I bake year round. At Christmas I bring out special recipes, like this one. It's called Toasted Almond Chip Balls, but we call it Mary's grandmother's cookies because a friend of ours gave it to us and said it was from her grandmother. Whatever the name, they are delicious. And easy. And they keep well in the freezer.

They have a shortbread-ish texture and melt in your mouth. Toasting the almonds brings out their flavor. Two or three of these are delectable with a cup of tea. 

Toasted Almond Chip Balls

2 cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips, chopped (or use mini chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped toasted almonds (toast for 8-10 minutes at 350 - then cool)
1 cup butter, room temperature
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons almond extract

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and knead well. Use two hands. It's lovely and therapeutic, and would work well with children, too.

Form into 1 inch balls. Place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Roll immediately in sifted icing sugar, then place on a rack (or brown paper) to cool.

5 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Just coming to my computer with cup of tea and no snack makes me really tempted by these delicious looking cookies! I think I will copy the recipe as they do look special!

Thank you for posting!

Friko said...

Do you knead the children whole or chopped up?

Gorgeous recipe otherwise.

Lorrie said...

Your comment has me laughing out loud. That is a rather ambiguous sentence, I'll agree. But sometimes kneading children would be extremely therapeutic!

Donna said...

These sound delicious! I'm going to be making up some wedding cookies, and these look similar. I might give this a try!

Vee said...

Friko's comment...too funny. I've written some sentences like that. These sound marvelous. I'm snagging.