Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Cherry Almond Gratins


I recently took Patricia Wells' The Provence Cookbook out of our local library. Oh my, I think this is a book to add to my permanent collection. Reading the recipes I wanted to make every single one. The book evokes the south of France and makes me want to go there NOW. Instead, I'll prepare Patricia's recipes and pretend I'm there.
Last summer I made a cherry clafoutis and loved it. These gratins are another way to serve cherries during their all too short season. This recipe is from The Provence Cookbook with a slight tweak - I used almonds in place of the hazelnuts in the recipe because that's what I had on hand.
The gratins are individual, making for a pretty presentation.

Cherry Almond Gratins (Mini-gratins aux cerises et aux amandes)

1 pound fresh cherries, rinsed, stemmed and pitted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
confectioner's sugar, for dusting the gratins

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Butter and sugar 6 individual gratin dishes and place on baking sheets.
Divide the cherries among the gratin dishes and set aside.

In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, combine the eggs and sugar, beating at the highest speed until thick and pale, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the almonds and whisk until well blended. Pour the batter over the cherries in the gratin dishes.
Place the baking sheets with the gratin dishes in the oven. Bake until firm and a deep golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool. Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar. Serve warm or at room temperature.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Sounds good...looks wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I love cherries and am always tempted to make cherry desserts. However, I don't have a cherry pitter and pitting those things by hand seems pretty finicky so I've never done it yet. Do you pit by hand?

Lorrie said...

Hi Kelley,

I have a cherry pitter, but it is hard on the hand after awhile. I would agree with you that pitting them by hand would be tiresome.