Thursday, October 27, 2011

Apple Pastry Squares



In the 1970s, Better Homes and Gardens published a series of cookbooks. In hardcover, the book titles included "Salads," "Cooking for Two," "Meals on a Budget," and "Homemade Cookies." My mother and my aunt had a lot of those books and I loved looking through them. When I married, I collected a few of my own, which I still have, including the last one listed, from which this recipe is taken.

I noted that I first made the recipe on April 9, 1980, and put a star beside it. I'd give it the same rating today, especially with the changes I've made. The pastry is flaky and crisp, the apple filling not too sweet, and the drizzled icing adds the last layer of flavor. Perfect with a cup of tea or coffee for dessert. Some like it with ice cream, I prefer it plain.

Regarding what kind of apples to use - I tend to use whatever is in the fridge. Granny Smiths are good and tart. Today I used a couple of small apples scavenged from an abandoned tree, plus some organic Honey Crisp apples from the store. 



Apple Pastry Squares


For the pastry:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, separated
about 2/3 cup milk


In a food processor, combine the salt and flour. Cut the butter into chunks, place on top of the flour and pulse until fine crumbs form. Place the egg yolk in a measuring cup and add milk to make 3/4 cup. Whisk slightly, pour over the flour/butter mixture and pulse just until the dough comes together. Wrap in waxed paper and chill about 10 minutes.


Filling:
1 cup granola (or Corn Flakes)
4 medium apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon


Divide dough in half. Cut a sheet of parchment paper that will fit into a 15.5 x 10.5 x 1 inch baking sheet with some overlap. On the paper, roll one half of the dough into a rectangle, about 15 x 10 inches. The dough is quite soft and fragile, but mends easily. Add flour to the surface as needed to prevent sticking. Lift the parchment paper and dough and place into the baking pan. 


Sprinkle the granola over the pastry in the pan, leaving about 1/2 inch free around the edges. Top with the apple slices. Combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples. 


Roll the remaining pastry and place over the apples. Seal the edges. Cut small slits in the top of the pastry. Beat the egg white until frothy, brush over the pastry top. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes. The pastry will be golden brown and the apples tender.


Glaze:
1 cup icing (powdered) sugar
3-4 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract


While the pastry is still warm, drizzle the glaze over top. 





14 comments:

Serenata said...

This looks great and very yummy...I still have quite a few apples from the tree that need using so I'm going to print this out to try tomorrow.

Thank you!

Vee said...

Oh no! It looks even better over here...

Anonymous said...

Hi friend love your post thanks for sharing...loves soraya

Rettabug said...

What an interesting recipe with the granola thrown in there for texture & extra flavor! I've got a BIG bowl of apples just waiting for me to do something with them. This would be perfect, Lorrie!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!
fondly,
Rett

p.s. Just a funny happening...your word verification that popped up as I was commenting is the name of the city just north of Venice, FL, where we used to live. "Nocomis" Serendipity!

Linda Jo said...

Yum! Not sure I knew you had this blog, too! Exciting!

thefisherlady said...

it is apple season here too... must try your dessert here!
I enjoy your posts... the avocado and strawberry is on my list of "to do"
Thanks so much for some cuisine beauty!

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

Yyyyy.u.u.m.m.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

I made your recipe today... oh my.... I know why you had a star beside that recipe! It was fabulous with a freshly brewed cup of coffee. And you're right, ice cream was not needed.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my gush my mouth is watering this looks so good! I bet this is very yummy too.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

This is a wonderful recipe. perfect for the chill in the air. I am your newest follower. Stop by and visit.
I shall spend some time looking over your yummy recipes. Enjoy your day! Linda
Hint - Lose the word verification...most people shy away from commenting with it. You can change it in Settings, then comments, scroll down to turn it off.

Heather said...

Looks delicious. I saw this on Brenda's blog and came to find the recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

Jennifer @ Town and Country Living said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. You've got some great recipes here and I'm definitely trying some of them! I'm now a follower!

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

Hi Lorrie! This looks soo delicious ~ I would love to have a slice of that right now to go with my morning tea. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

Anneliese said...

I've made this one for many years. Mine looks exactly like yours. =)It's always a winner.