Thursday, July 2, 2009

Grilled Eggplant and Feta

I'm kicking myself for not taking a picture of this because it turned out surprisingly well. It was very much a "oh, this might work," and "hmmm, maybe some of this" recipe. And I'll be making it again, but I'd better write it down now while I can still remember what I did.

Grilled Eggplant and Feta Bake

2 medium eggplants
1-2 chopped tomatoes
1 T balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup (or more) feta cheese, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
olive oil
salt and pepper

Trim the ends off the eggplants and slice about 3/4 inch thick. Brush both sides with olive oil and grill over a medium hot fire until tender - about 10 minutes on each side. Check to make sure they don't burn.

Remove from the grill, let cool slightly and then chop very coarsely. I just cut the slices into quarters. Layer half of the eggplant in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with salt and pepper and half of the feta cheese. Layer on the rest of the eggplant, then the chopped tomatoes. Drizzle the balsamic vinegar over top. Sprinkle on the olives and the remaining feta cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. (or if you use a grill safe pan, cover with foil and heat on the grill - basically you just want the tomatoes to buddy up to the eggplant)

1 comment:

Rettabug said...

This sounds really good, Lorrie! I wish I'd seen it sooner when we had eggplants coming out our ears this summer. I'm copying it down to use next year. We're kinda tired of them right now, but I do dearly love them grilled.

Thanks for sharing!
Rett