Saturday, October 16, 2021

Seedy Crackers

 



This is a good grain-free cracker that satisfies the crunch need for people eating low-carb diets. I no longer do so, but I still enjoy these crackers. They are great with cheese or peanut butter or whatever you like to put onto crackers. I believe the original recipe is from an Oh, She Glows book or post, but I've adapted it considerably. I got the original one from my daughter.

Seedy Crackers 

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (I use toasted and salted)

1/2 cup sunflower seeds (ditto)

1/2 cup raw sesame seeds

1/2 cup chia seeds

1/2 cup hemp hearts (optional)

2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast

1 teaspoon Xanthum Gum (this helps hold the crackers together a bit more. It can be left out, but the crackers are more fragile and you might want to make them thicker.)

2 Tablespoons soy sauce plus enough water to measure 1 cup

seasonings to taste - you can add garlic powder (about 1 teaspoon), or fresh garlic, minced, or other herbs


Stir everything together in a bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stir thoroughly again, then spread on parchment lined baking sheets.

You'll notice that I spread mine on two baking sheets - I found it easier for turning them later. Use an offset spatula to press and spread out the mixture evenly. They should be about 1/8-inch thick. One pan is spread to about 12 x 9 inches and the other is smaller, about 10 x 8. 

Bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Rotate the pans from top rack to bottom after 15 minutes, if you've used two pans. I then remove them from the oven and cut them into quarters and carefully flip them over. Bake another 10 - 15 minutes, until almost crisp. Cut them into squares and return them to the oven for 5--10 minutes until crisp through. Cool and store in a tightly sealed container. 

I use a bench scraper for cutting them and that works well. They are fragile, and there will be some breakage, but the seed crumbs are yummy on a salad or in soup. 

If you use gluten free soy sauce, you'll have a gluten free cracker for your friends that can't tolerate gluten. 

No comments: