Thursday, July 15, 2010

Basil Pesto



My little sundeck garden is flourishing. I came home from my trip and the basil looked like it had doubled in height and fullness. So, it's that time again...pesto. Mmmm. I do love the stuff. Fresh mozzarella cheese, tomatoes warm from the garden and some homemade bread - a perfect summer lunch.

I like to freeze this pesto in small containers. Once thawed I like to use it up fairly quickly. It's great for fresh flavour in the winter.

Basil Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed, stems removed, washed and dried
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons pine nuts (or almonds or walnuts)
2 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Place the basil leaves, olive oil, pine nuts, garlic and salt in a blender. Process until smooth. Add Parmesan and blend again.

Note:  3 Tablespoons of softened butter can be added at the end to make a spread. Spread it over French or Italian bread, then broil until bubbly. Delectable!

2 comments:

Sugar Bear said...

This looks awesome Lorrie! I especially love your tip for making it a spread - we have so much basil coming up I think I can make several containers of pesto and still have enough to make a spread!
Karla

Sugar Bear said...

I made pesto this weekend and it was great! I forgot to buy nuts at the grocery store and substituted a head of fresh roasted garlic instead - came out delicious and my husband said he would rather have it this way from now on!
Karla