Monday, August 16, 2010

Salmon Rice Salad



Last night my husband and I went out for dinner to the Creek Restaurant in French Creek. This was a belated anniversary celebration. We ordered a seafood platter for two. It came with Caesar Salads to start. They were on the small side, but that's okay because the platter was enormous. Four crab legs, four large breaded Fanny Bay oysters, a casserole of creamed shrimp and scallops, a salmon fillet and a piece of halibut. Plus vegetables, rice and two potato croquettes accompanied by flatbread. We didn't finish it all. Instead we brought home about half of the rice and the salmon. (Yes, we ate the rest.)

Today is blisteringly hot and I decided to make dinner this morning while the kitchen was cool. I flaked the salmon, added the rice and a few odds and ends. This will accompany a chilled zucchini soup and a roasted tomato and green bean salad for dinner. The amounts given below are enough to serve two, and I didn't measure anything, so you'll have to play with the ingredients. I didn't want a mayonnaise based salad, but something lighter. This is the result, and I'm pleased with it.

Salmon Rice Salad

1 large salmon fillet (you could poach one or use canned salmon)
1 cup cooked rice
1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon mirin or cooking sherry
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil

lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste

That's it. Toss it lightly, taste and add more of whatever you think it needs. Chill and enjoy.

4 comments:

nannykim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nannykim said...

Sounds good, but I am wondering where you get mirin. I have seen it called for in some recipes.

nannykim said...

Just wanted to let you know I tried it and love it!! THANKS! I added it to my recipe blog (It is probably about the third one down on my blog---I referenced you). nannykim

Danielle said...

This sounds amazing! Think I will try it for dinner tonight!