Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Almost Piña Colada Popsicles






Summer time treats, for me, always include popsicles. They are easy to make and handy to have in the freezer for a cool taste on a hot day. I'm hoping for many hot days this summer. These are mild in flavour, full of pineapple, coconut milk and banana. A dash of rum or rum flavouring wouldn't come amiss for more of the piña colada flavour, but you might want to leave it out if these are intended for children.

My popsicle molds are old Tupperware ones - they've been around for at least 35, maybe 40 years - they first belonged to my mother. I've lost a few of the handles, but a wooden popsicle stick fits into the slot quite nicely.

Almost Piña Colada Popsicles

1 can (398 ml) crushed pineapple, with juice
1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
1 banana
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tablespoon light rum OR 1 tsp rum extract

Whir everything together in a blender. Pour into molds. Freeze. Enjoy on a hot summer day!

1 comment:

GretchenJoanna said...

When our children were young we used to make a lot of similar popsicles every summer, using the same Tupperware holders. My recipe was simpler, and probably not as good - we merely froze pineapple-coconut juice that we got from the food co-op by the case of quart bottles.

Our problem was not losing the handles, but the cracking of the lids. I never thought of sticking a popsicle stick in there!

I would like to try your upscale version this summer, in Maryland where we will visit the grandchildren and suffer in the heat and humidity. Thanks!