Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Dinner Rolls

 



I made these for Thanksgiving this year, and when I posted a photo on FB, someone asked me for the recipe. So here it is. One roll is missing because of course someone needed to taste test and make sure that they were acceptable. 

Dinner Rolls

1/2 cup water
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter

Combine above and heat to lukewarm. The butter doesn't need to melt, but it should be soft. 

Add

1 Tablespoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
1 egg
1 1/2 cups (roughly) spelt flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1-2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Stir well to combine. Add all-purpose flour to make a soft dough and knead until smooth and elastic, adding flour as necessary.
Form dough into a ball and let rise in a greased bowl until doubled. 
Form into individual rolls. I used three pie plates and made the buns fairly small, but they could be any size preferred.
Cover and let rise again. 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Before baking, brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter, then sprinkle with coarse salt, sesame seed, or poppy seed. 
Bake for 20 minutes. 

Note: Any combination of whole wheat, all-purpose, or spelt flour could be used, I think. I just added what I did without measuring. 

1 comment:

Connie said...

Your rolls look amazing, but I'm not familiar with that flour. Would all purpose flour work?