Monday, January 22, 2024

Flourless Double Chocolate Nut Cookies

 


My sister has a celiac disease which means she cannot eat gluten. She becomes very ill if she ingests even the smallest amount. So when she visits, I am careful about what I cook, and what I add to dishes. 

I don't like having all the non-gluten flours and ingredients cluttering up my pantry, and prefer gluten-free things I can make from the ingredients I already have on hand. These cookies are so simple to make, and delicious! I've made them with either almonds or pecans, and other nuts could be used, too. 

3 cups icing sugar
3/4 cup cocoa powder, spooned and leveled
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or almonds, or another nut
4 large egg whites, at room temperature. 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together the sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Add egg whites and stir just until combined. Do not overmix. 

Drop dough by Tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. They will spread a little.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes. The cookie tops should be dry and crackled. Let cool and remove from parchment paper. Makes about 30 cookies, depending on the size. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

Mmmmm looks absolutely gorgeous, I'm not a fan of chocolate but I could eat those.